ICT for People, Profit and Planet (ICT43P)
Exploring the role of ICT in achieving the SDGs
About the course
This course brings together change makers in the field of Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) and computing to show how digital technologies can be harnessed to achieve the SDGs. It clearly shows how technologies such as ‘Big Data’ can be used to generate actionable insights and inform smarter, evidence-based policies towards improving the lives of people, increasing profits and saving the planet.
It also highlights the challenges that technology might present. These include among others; privacy, ethics, Cyber security, respect for data sovereignty, WEEE (Waste of Electronic and Electrical Equipment) and Social divide.
The course adopts the Aalborg University Problem Based Learning (PBL) approach. Participants will Identify problems in the community and use the different technologies and tools to develop viable solutions. All the solutions will address the three pillars of sustainability (Social, Economic and Environment).
- Must be able to understand the concept of sustainability (People, Profit, Planet)
- Must be able to identify existing, new and emerging hardware, software and communication technologies for sustainability
- Must have knowledge about ICT and its effects to sustainability
- Must be able to recognize the possible application area in which the deployment of ICT can have impact on sustainability
- Must be able to evaluate the rebound and induction effect within the ICT field.
- Must have the capability to apply and integrate sustainability in an interdisciplinary way, considering user, technology and market aspects
What you will learn?
- Access to knowledge and services through ICT
- How ICT promotes transparency and encourages collaboration
- Application of ICT in various SDGs
- Technology enthusiasts
- Undergraduate and graduate students
|Module 1||Module 2||Module 3|
|How much do we know about ICT and sustainability?
|Technologies for achieving the SDGs.
|Application areas of ICT
|Module 4||Module 5||Module 6|
|Threats presented by technology.
||How good is the ICT infrastructure and policies towards sustainability?
Number of modules: 6
Duration: 2 hours per module
Price: 100,000 UGX
Prerequisite: Basic ICT Knowledge and passion for the SDGs
Requirements: BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
Date: September 19th – 21st 2019
Number of hours: 18 Hours
No of participants: 30
Award: Certificate in ICT43P signed by the course facilitators will be awarded to learners who successfully complete the course.
Structure/Mode of delivery: Lectures, project work, exercises, self-study, quizzes, discussion forum, facilitator feedback, reflection.
To book a slot, please fill in the form in the link below.